Remember my $45 dresser from Craig’s List? The one I plan to use as a changing table for our nursery?
Well, today I finally got to get my hands dirty and start its makeover. Since I would be doing some sanding and painting, I geared up appropriately 🙂 What a geek, huh?!
I started by removing all the hardware and sanding down the surfaces. I started with an 80 grit sand paper, wiped down the surfaces and finished with a 220 grit to smooth it out. (I made sure to sand in the direction of the grain of the wood)
Thank you Daddio for the electric sander!!
Since I planned on staining the top of the dresser, I sanded off the entire top layer. Dust was flying everywhere!
All sanded and ready to go… At this point I was completely covered in dust. It was a funny sight to see.
My next step was to prime the drawers and base of the dresser. I tried out the odorless version of my favorite spay primer. It was a bit different but seemed to work ok.
I gave the drawers a quick spray and let them dry.
Before I primed the base of the dresser, I didn’t want any primer to get on the top so I taped down a trash bag to cover it up.
Worked like a charm!
Now came the staining…
I chose a stain called “Dark Walnut.”
I gave it a thick coat, painting it on with the grain of the wood. I then let it sit for about 15 minutes to get the deepest color possible. After 15 minutes, I wiped it down with a rag to wipe off the excess stain that had not soaked up yet.
Oops. Put it on a little too heavy on this side. Good thing I hadn’t painted yet.
I then gave the drawers and base two coats of “Mosaic White” paint. After letting it all dry for a few hours, we moved it all back inside.
I put it together to get an idea of what it will look like.
I still plan to add fun handles/knobs, give the stained wood a layer of polyurethane, touch up some of the white paint and line the drawers with some colorful paper.
Even though it’s far from done, it’s rewarding to see it moving in the right direction!
More updates to come soon!