>A second dog? What do you think?
Ever since we had my sister’s dog, Cooper, stay with us for a few weeks, we have been throwing out the idea of getting another dog. We’ve been back and forth for a while now. However, in the past day or two we’ve both been moving in the direction of getting another dog. There are lots of pros and cons that come with the idea.
- We love dogs. They bring so much joy to our home.
- It would be good for Sophie to have a brother or sister.
- I am more motivated to run and be active with a dog around that needs it. When Cooper was here, I felt obligated to take him on a run every day in order to keep him from going into “crackhead mode.”
- It would be fun to get a dog that is both mind AND Austins. Sophie is still a “mommy’s girl” since I had her before we got hitched.
- Money. Dogs can be expensive. Vet bills, Frontline, heartworm meds, food, toys, etc. It adds up.
- Doggy Daycare. When we go on trips it is really easy to ask someone to take Sophie. She’s low maintenance and fun to have around. But it’s a really big favor to ask someone to care for TWO of your dogs.
- It’s a risk. What if it barks all the time? What if it gets really sick? What if it doesn’t get along with Sophie. There are lots of unknowns.
We’ve been talking through those for a while and have narrowed our criteria down.
We want a dog that is medium sized. (30-50lbs).
We want a dog that is fine with strangers and other dogs.
We want a dog that is good with kids.
We want a dog that is male.
We (I) want a dog that doesn’t shed like crazy.
Kind of a high maintenance list, yes? What kind of breed would best suit our wishlist??
I went online to do some research.
My first stop was a website called Select Smart. It took me through a quiz to narrow down some ideal dog breeds. Here were the top three results: