A while back I made a cover for my sewing machine. It was one of the first things I ever made. I was so proud of it at the moment. As time has gone on, I have realized that this cover is, well, CRAP. It was hard to slide on, it would always mess up the threading in my machine and so on.
Now that my sewing skills have improved (somewhat), I decided to tackle the project once again. I got 28 of these 5X5 fabric squares from ebay a few weeks ago. The project began by me sewing 12 of them together to make one big piece of fabric.
After a very tedious hour, I had my two pieces fully sewn.
At this point I started to get pretty pumped. I was LOVING the way it was shaping up.
I needed my fabric to be somewhat structured. Something that was stiff enough to simply place on my machine without snuggling it on there. The solution?
This stuff is awesome. You just iron it on the back of your fabric and it gives it structure and stiffness. I got mine from Hobby Lobby for $4.00 a yard.
I got all my pieces ironed, measured my machine, cut the pieces down to fit, and then began the sewing!
Putting the right sides together, I sewed the top of the cover first.
I then moved to the side pieces. One more to go!
I got the last piece on, and flipped it around to see what it was looking like…
At this point I was surprised that it was actually working (considering I wasn’t following any pattern or instructions.)
I wanted to add a hem around the bottom to give it a finished look. So I cut a strip of fabric 46×2 inches and sewed that puppy on there.
I thought I would get fancy and use a zig-zag stitch on the outside.
Again, I was surprised at how freaking GOOD this was turning out!
After that, I ironed the edges, added a handle, and stepped back to look at the finished product.
How cute is that!! It just lifts on and off so easily.
I think it’s safe to say this is one of the cutest things my sewing machine and I have made together.
Before and After